Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Good Ol Days....

It's been on my mind a lot recently about how mine and Lucas' childhood will differ greatly. To say that I am saddened by this is an understatement. I know every generation has what they think are the good ol days, my mom tells me hers is when she would go visit her grandmother, they would all walk to church on Sunday. And in my childhood we didn't walk anywhere! I know it may be the town I live in. I wonder if she thought " wow Katie will never get to walk to church with her grandmother" maybe not but she probably thought of other scenarios.



I have talked to my mom and Jessica about this whole deal a lot lately, it really makes me sad, my mom is trying to encourage me that Lucas will have his own 'things' that he thinks are fun and will remember. But while driving past a failing video rental store that I used to go in every single weekend as a kid, I thought to myself 'gosh Lucas will never go into a video store and rent a movie' that seems like such a large part of my childhood that I loved I can't imagine not giving that to him, yet it won't be there to give. That breaks my heart and how he may never spend entire days outside, my brother and I used to get up at the crack of dawn on Saturdays and during the summer and we couldn't wait to go get our friends to play and ride bikes, mom always made us wait until 10:00 am to knock on their door and we would play until dinner then be back outside after dinner to play until dark, I hope Lucas has that opportunity, those days to me are priceless!



I miss those days when we weren't ruled by our cell phones and all kids want are computers and video games. I am as guilty as the next person of this and I think I've said it before I just don't know where the balance is! I recently have gone without facebook, I took the app off my phone, and I did this for more than one reason but I once read these words somewhere here in blogland " kids mimic adults, and what are adults doing all day they are attached to their phones and computers" I DO NOT want to be attached to my phone at all! And I found myself always feeling the 'need' to check my fb, to see what others were doing, and for what!? NOTHING so I have been 'facebook free' for a couple of weeks now, I'm not saying I am giving it up altogether but I think logging on (from my computer at home) once a week will do me just fine, I don't want to loose touch with people but I don't need to know what everyone is doing every second of the day. And I am not saying that is a bad thing either, it's just not for me right now, remember balance.....

I hope I can show Lucas balance with all things he comes in contact with but I need to find it for myself before I can begin to teach him.

I know that was a bunch of ramblings but it had to go somewhere :)

No comments: