Friday, April 27, 2012

Onion Rings


Onion rings, as odd as this may sound, hold a special little place in my childhood. They bring so much comfort to me.

You see when I was growing up my dad was hardly in the picture, ok I take that back he was in the picture when it was convenient for him. He didn't want to be a father, he wasn't ready and in all honesty he would have never been ready. He is just that type. A forever kid, I know you know some.
But on summer afternoons he would call my brother and I sometimes to see if we wanted a snack from Sonic. We always did, it was the only way we could guarantee a visit. I would almost always ask for onion rings, my mema's favorite.
We would wait on him outside or in the den and he would bring us our snack stay for a bit and be on his way. I would take my onion rings in the house and up to the living room and share them with my mema.
I just realized recently how significant this whole scenario was. My mema did not care for my dad, he did nothing for my brother and I, my mom did it all with a lot of her help so I can understand her place with him.
I didn't ask and share the onion rings to to be rude to my dad. I just did what I knew to do. Share with those who share with you.
Now whenever I eat Sonic onion rings I think about to very different but very meaningful people from my childhood and it makes me smile.  

No comments: